The Exiled

Shunned by Man, Accepted by Gods
* FAQ    * Search   * Members
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:57 pm 

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Board index » General Area » Announcements
Post new topic Reply to topic Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
Author

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tribes Ascend

Tribes: Ascend is now in Open Beta, sign up.
https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/

Top Offline
Profile WWWYIM
Author

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tribes Ascend

What's up fellas?

2 words

Holy ****.

This is the first I've seen of this game. Am I seeing the return of the glory days of yore?

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tribes Ascend

Alas, no, but it's still worth checking out.

It's good to see you. Get on xfire or msn some time.

Top Offline
Profile WWWYIM
Author

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tribes Ascend

TA will be released on April 12th, with the iconic map Raindance.

And for comparison, the original.

Top Offline
Profile WWWYIM
Author

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tribes Ascend

I had to see what you guys were doing with Ascend now that it's out.

Personally, I've been disappointed. I wanted it to bring me back to 14 years ago, but it has not done so. Spawning in-class and the abundance of assault rifles and SMGs creates an experience that is very much not TRIBES. The generators have no purpose, and the entire CTF experience is about rushing the flag over and over for 15 minutes and hoping that yours is returned by the time you get back.

It doesn't have the old games' epic base sieges, complicated defenses, fast and visceral duels, and the skiing is pathetically slow for a game obsessed with speed.

Spinfusors are still fun to shoot around, but that's about all it's got. I even ignored everything wrong with it for the first several hours because I wanted so badly to like it - then when I realized I'd spent that time just unlocking the spinfusor, I was sad. As a soldier with the disc launcher, there's no noticeable loss of mobility from pathfinder, and it has more firepower and health. The balance just doesn't make sense.

I've been thinking of downloading the original again, but I'm kind of afraid to go back to a community that I've fallen so far behind.

By the way, it's really cool that the forums are still here and that the TE name is still alive. It's just a shame we don't have a decent game to play. Maybe a private Ascend server would alleviate some problems that come from pubs.

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tribes Ascend

Hi-Rez's response is, "This isn't Tribes, this is a new game." And, what's your in-game name?

Top Offline
Profile WWWYIM
Author

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tribes Ascend

Yeah, I'd heard they said that. It doesn't placate me - if they call it Tribes, there are certain expectations associated with the name. I guess if they want to succeed with their free to play/microtransaction model, they have to make sure it's as accessible as possible. Either way, having the bases and the point-pinata generators inside act as nothing more than part of the scenery is terrible.

I go by Gooberman in game. I'm sure it'll be a blast once there's a way for players to actually organize beyond the friend's list.

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tribes Ascend

I can't believe you use the thumpers... They're the most ridiculously unbalanced weapons in the entire game.

Top Offline
Profile WWWICQYIM
Author

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tribes Ascend

I do when my spinfusor is low on ammo or when I need to use its parabolic trajectory.

But is it really more unbalanced than the chaingun, jackal, the speed heavies can move at and the constant glut of pin point accurate automatic weapons? What about fractal grenades? Capture and hold is almost unplayable due to the imbalance between armor classes and their loadouts. The thumper DX at least has a short maximum range and a rather unimpressive blast radius. The only advantage it really has it that its projectiles are hard to see in flight and harder to dodge as a result. Its damage is quite low as well - on the same level as the light spinfusor, and it only holds 10 shots at base level. How is it unbalanced? I've only used the thumper DX, so I can't speak for the regular one.

What with everyone spawning in class and rushing right back to the enemy base seconds after dying, as a midfielder, I have no qualms about being able to accurately pop moving targets with the thing to finish them off. It's better than spraying after them with the assault rifle until they die.

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tribes Ascend

Hey Krogoth, how were you getting the textures for the models you found in the game files?

I've been making a spreadsheet of future content, but I've run into the problem of umodel not being able to extract the textures correctly, so I can just see the untextured models.

Spreadsheet is here if you're interested, still a bit incomplete: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 0ZsbmxnaUE

Top Offline
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9