The Exiled

Shunned by Man, Accepted by Gods
* FAQ    * Search   * Members
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am 

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Board index » General Area » Modding
Post new topic Reply to topic Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Should Warzone 2100 mod be made?
Hell yeah! 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Hell no! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
What is Warzone 2100? 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 8
Author

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Warzone 2100 mod

A stroke of brilliance hit me.
If you know what Warzone 2100 is... then you know how fluxoring cool of a mod this would be. It's going to be one hell of a mod. You might even rest the grip of Anni from Tribes, and... try and convince Jesus to let you take some scripts. If you're lucky, he might even join.

Either way, if you would like to know about this mod-in-concept, please post. If it is ever made, the product is going to rock your socks of like no other mod.

[edit]
By the way, go to http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/stra ... rzone2100/ to get dem Rawrzone files, source is included, so you can play the full game for free. And yes, it is ironic im making a mod about a free game for a free game. Go figure.

Last edited by TheShodan on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Since im getting some "What is Warzone 2100" votes... I shall tell you all.

It's a sleeper hit from back in 1999. It was released simultaneously for the PS1 and Windows PC. It featured customizable units which you can swap out turrets, wheels, and chassis on, creating diverse armies. It also featured perhaps one of the longest tech trees ever devised, that potentially even beats Civ's tech tree.

Concepts:
In the game, there are oil derricks. We can substitute these for tower objects, and mattering on how many you have, you will get more points added to your pool. Also, you actually have to "build" on the tower in order to gain it's oil resources. It takes about 10 seconds. Also, after an oil derrick is destroyed, the oil spot cannot be touched for about 20 seconds, since it will be flaming and such.
Research works by building 3 research stations, that are upgradeable. All research takes time and money however. You can probably do this by setting a time script activated by the object you are researching at the station, so you cannot research objects instantaneously.
Everyone will be a tank. Everything in Warzone 2100 is a tank, besides the pitiful humans who die instantly from 1 shot. Would you like to be infantry? That's what I thought. Yes, there is an engineer tank in the game. All it takes is just applying an engineer weapon. Each object takes up from the pool of money, however. If you want more money... go get more oil derricks. The more you have, the more money flows in at periods.
There's also the "command system". You need to build a command tower before you get a real radar, which will prove to be your best friend. Just to bring up, maybe a mapper can make a map with lots of ravines, and of course natural ramps up to key locations at higher positions, so you can shoot everything in the ravine from a safe distance. There will only be one kind of tank that flys, that will be a V.T.O.L.
All ground tanks have unlimited ammo, but most weapons ahve immense cooldowns, so youre Tribes game will be slowed down... by like 2 seconds. Don't freak. However, the V.T.O.L.s need to re-arm ar V.T.O.L. pads.
Post if yo would like to hear more.

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject:

still dont understand

Retard + beta software = whiny bitch
TE-Gooberman wrote:
hammy would hit anything as long as he couldnt tell what its gender was.
 Top Offline
Profile WWWYIM
Author

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject:

We need a Warzone 2100 fan here... just look up Warzone 2100.

I have an idea. Is it possible to make an object point in the direction you are moving? Like say you are a dude with a cone pointing forward while you run forward. If you strafe left, the cone points left. Now imagine your body is replaced by a rectangle, and the cone becomes 2 seperate track wheels. Tada, instant tank.

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject:

ok

ill try the demo

TE-Gooberman wrote:
 Top Offline
Profile WWWYIM
Author

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject:

You can also download the game free, since the source code is out anyways. just look for the unofficial Warzone 2100 site, they got tons of stuff there. And... get off your Counter-Strike! :wink:

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject:

hmm

ok

firs toff i highly doubt it tribes doesnt support "wheels" but u can use an APC to do it

TE-Gooberman wrote:
 Top Offline
Profile WWWYIM
Author

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Well there is a hoverfoil , in case we cant use wheels. Besides, it might just be VTOL combat at beginning. It IS possible to use something besides people as character models. We may even have infantry, but i think that moddable vehicles would potentially make for a buggy mess. Not even Jesus's DTF mod is safe from vehicle modification buggage. If someone is up for the task, they may even make a new character model but... I highly doubt it. Enough worrying about the wheels themselves tho, voice your opinions.

D'oh, I thought you were talking about using APCs literally, instead of as character models. HOWEVER.......... we can use inventory stations as a sort of "wheel" :). Is it possible to have characters spawn in vehicles, that can be outfitted at stations?

And... I still don't see why Pengwin is the only one posting... I don't even think he mods often :( .

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Pengwin doesn't mod.

You could probably spawn people in a vehicle. As for the invo wheels, I'm not sure, you'd have to have them constantly moving their positions with the vehicles. It could end up just blowing up the vehicle if you stop suddenly or the server lags for a sec.

I haven't posted because I don't really have the time this week to look into this. I've got a chemistry exam tomorrow and several other things to do.

Top Offline
Profile WWWICQYIM
Author

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject:

You can have it function as a weapon? Perhaps if we just use a vehicle as the character model, then we wont have any exploding people... plus... we can set a maximum acceleration with it. It could be a backpack that does an effect that ... okay I'm going nuts with this concept here :D . You know how the energy pack works... perhaps we can make 2 seperate surfaces that have textures that react to an effect based on degree of movement... Brain Fart. I have no clue what I just said. Perhaps you can port scripts from the original Starsiege? Oh yeah... now we got an idea...

If that doesn't work, then we can just assign a pack as the wheels, the body as the armor, and the weapon as the turret. Then we can just have "Ground Jets" or something so we can adjust it to Tribes scripting limits. Of course... the more armored the Jet is, the slower it is. Is it possible to reduce possible health by pack? That would make sense... or we can radically change it so that it's Lift Vs Speed. So, heavier jets have greater lift, but low speed. VTOLS got intense lift and speed tho, but alot of weapons tend to kill them relatively easy, even at heavier armors. YES, even the heavy armors can use VTOL jets. They will go WAYYY slower than the lighter ones tho. So each armor has it's own VTOL pack, based on speed. Huge Plasmatic scale Brain Fart, woot :) .

Top Offline
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4