The Exiled

Shunned by Man, Accepted by Gods
* FAQ    * Search   * Members
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am 

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Board index » General Area » Help Desk
Post new topic Reply to topic Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests
Author

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Patching tribes......

Well it all started when i decided to add like 6 different scripts to my tribes..... which ended up overlaping and ruining my tribes ... so i had no scripts at all. I then have the greatest idea of starting over by uninstalling tribes deleting everything and installing it again so i can just have 1 or 2 scripts.... well it installed just fine however when it comes to patching it, it seems to not like me very much. I actually think that it is my comp and nothing else.... well i need help!!!!!!!!

First of all i cant just install 1.8 to 1.1 ..... It gives me this. "C:\Windows\System32\autoexec.nt. the system file is not suitable for running ms-dos and microsoft windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application." WELL i dont want to terminate it i want it to patch damnit!!!!!! Please help me.... i tried the other way too where you go patch by patch I.E. 1.8 to 1.9 all the way up... well iget to 1.9 and try to get the next one and it gives me the same response as b4.

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject:

It's this error isn't it.

For some reason the installation of SP2 can cause a file called "AUTOEXEC.NT" to be corrupted or deleted. This file is part of the Windows 16-bit subsystem and usually lives in the system32 folder.

What's happening when you get this error is that the setup for that program uses InstallSheild which is a 16-bit program. Since the AUTOEXEC.NT file is missing, it can't run the install program. Not everyone who installs SP2 will have this problem, but we've had several calls and emails about it.

Fortunately there is a backup of the file living on your hard drive.

Double click "My Computer" then your hard drive (probably C drive) and open the "WINDOWS" folder.

Open "SYSTEM32" and see if the "AUTOEXEC.NT" file is in there. Chances are it isn't. If it is, then it's probably corrupt. Arrow up or hit "Back" to return to the main WINDOWS folder.

Go down to "Repair" and double click. You should find "autoexec.nt" and "config.nt" in there. Copy these files (Ctrl+C) then go back to SYSTEM32 and paste them there (Ctrl+V). It will ask you if you want to replace the old one—click "Yes".

Top Offline
Profile WWWICQYIM
Author

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject:

Thnx O SO much Nox! :D

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject:

NoX is tha BoMB!

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject:

hes magic....thats y his name is noxWIZARD. duh.

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Actually I had the same problem, I just googled the autoexec.nt file and found this one site that told you how to 'repair' it. I don't have SP2, but I had the problem. I found the 'repair' folder in my D:\Windows\system32 ....I think. I dunno but it fixed it. This prblem has been pplauging me for...2 years? I have been denied so many applications because of this. It wasn't until recently i found what whas wqrong.

Pengwin wrote:
Hmm
 Top Offline
Profile YIM
Author

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject:

I got my XP with SP2. So im all set.

Top Offline
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Page 1 of 1