The Exiled

Shunned by Man, Accepted by Gods
* FAQ    * Search   * Members
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 am 

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Board index » General Area » Help Desk
Post new topic Reply to topic Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests
Author

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Partition my HD?

I haven't come across anything about how to partition my HD so that I can have one half run Vista(that I currently have) and the other half run Windows XP. Anyone know how or any website that would help with this, or a website to link to another website for this sort of problem?

Much help needed and any sort of help is much appreciated.

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
 Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Partition my HD?

It's called Dual Booting.

You can partition a drive using a program called Partition Magic. It isn't free, but you might be able to find something free that does the same thing.

Top Offline
Profile WWWYIM
Author

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Partition my HD?

You can also run the XP installer and it will let you create partitions. The safest route would be an application though.

Top Offline
Profile WWWICQYIM
Author

Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Partition my HD?

I'll have to look into where to buy that thanks. That was a very quick respone as well, very nice work! :D :D

Another reply with even more information as I was replying to the first. :shock:

And even another good idea, I would much rather trust an application made for partitioning a hard drive rather than installing an OS, I'll go with your information Noxwizard, and hope I can get the Partition Magic that Krogoth informed me of.

Thank you both very much(sorry about double replying, I'm to slow gah)! :D :wink:

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
 Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Partition my HD?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PartitionMagic

Quote:
Compatibility issues

PartitionMagic is compatible with Windows NT, 98, ME, 2000, and XP desktop editions. However, it is not compatible with Windows NT, 2000, or .NET server editions. It crashes if a Windows Vista partition is present, even if it is run from a different operating system, with the error "Init failed: Error 117. Partition's drive letter cannot be identified". However this error can be avoided if the Windows Vista partition is configured using Windows XP instead of creating the partition using Windows Vista or its installation disk. To fix this, all partitions on the hard drive need to be be deleted and formatted into new partitions using the Windows XP installation disk, allowing for a working partition for Windows Vista to be created. The same error occurs in some conditions under Windows XP.

Thought you might want to know that.

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Partition my HD?

So let me get this straight, if I partition my HD after I reboot my computer and its still Windows Vista, it will cause the error "Init failed: Error 117. Partition's drive letter cannot be identified". So I would have to reboot my computer like I'm going to, then uninstall Vista, install XP, and then partition my HD and install Vista on the other half that has no OS yet just so that error message won't pop up? How rediciulous! I'm just gonna reboot and install XP Pro. :x

Thank you so much Starseeker, I never thought about researching about it, I actually was going to get on my computer and look where I could buy Partition Magic at, but now I guess just Windows XP and what the price is. Yay for keeping an extra $70! :lol:

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Partition my HD?

No problem at all dude :) Have to share the information ;)

Also, I think that partitioning the drives with the XP INSTALL DISK is enough, you might not need to install XP. I'm not completely sure though, but I think that is the safest way if it works.

Top Offline
Author

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Partition my HD?

If your partitioned your HDD going through the actual installation disks you would have to Go and edit your boot.ini in order for the boot manager to see both installations. and i cant remember but i believe with xp and vista you have to install them in a specific order in order for the xp to show up on the boot manager.

I would just use Partition magic its easier lol.

If anyone is interested, if you wanna play with ubuntu 10.4, theres a program call wubi installer and it will partition your drive for you and install ubuntu on it leaving your windows installation in tact. i can get a link if anyone wants it!!

XBOX LIVE : h4ck3d data***GO BROWNS!***
 Top Offline
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Page 1 of 1